Racing Forum

for Forza Motorsport 3

PortalHomeCalendarFAQMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in
Welcome to F.U.B.A.R Racing!!
Don't forget to Register your driver number
NASCAR start date TBA
Click the home button to view Motorsport News
CLUB Series Money to be allocated on standings.
CLUB Series Standings NM UK - 388 Points VTR - 347 Points CPR - 130 Points M@W - 84 Points
Take a look at the NASCAR Series and Le Mans Series for registration
Links
Tuning Calculator
DIY Race Tuning
Forza.net
Turn 10 Links
Leaderboards
VIP Gift Battle
Auction House
Latest topics
» if you like grime
Sat Oct 02, 2010 6:23 am by CJs87Stang

» My Grid Girl
Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:28 pm by mr harms

» Questions on jalopnik pack
Mon Aug 09, 2010 2:54 pm by GOOG60

» Event idea's, post them here
Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:46 pm by GOOG60

» Is Fubar Still Alive?
Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:22 pm by Metzkill1

» Back!!
Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:33 pm by Metzkill1

Share | 

Kinect (Natal) Issue's

Go down 
AuthorMessage
DK Rahne
Admin

PostSubject: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Thu Jun 17, 2010 5:09 pm

While microsoft's presentation on Natal was impressive there seems to be a serious flaw at the moment with the technology. Personally the tech impresses me, I like the fact that Microsft is attempting to push the boundries, and dare I say it to redefine the gaming experience.
Whilst this is all well and good, it appears Natal (I refuse to call if Kinect lol) has it's limitations, no gaming whilst your seated folks!! Take a look HERE

Microsoft reps and in some cases developers for Natal games seem very cagey about commenting on the issue.
With this on top of the fact that Microsoft did not announce a price point at E3 for Natal, things aren't looking good. They have serious issue's they really need to iron out before it's release later this year.

Update: 4 major US based retailers have all detailed the price as $149 (Amazon, Gamestop, Best Buy and Walmart)

DK

Sennas Ghost

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:47 am

game is advertising pre order of kinect,with a price of £100.00 english pounds,personally does'nt intrest me,i will also not purchase a new style console until i have problems with my current one.

Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:13 am

As i said above the tech itself is impressive, but that aside it's not for me personally. It would feel so wrong playing the likes of Forza without physically using a steering wheel.

My overall feeling on Natal is that it's very gimicky. The new console looks nice enough, but it won't warrant a purchase until I have the need to do it. (The need to actually replace my existing console due to failure).

Is anyone thinking of buying this soley on merit, rather than out of necessity?
Don't get me wrong, the new console is nice but, I just don't see the point of picking one up considering I have only recently replaced one (about 2-3 months ago).

DK

Metzkill1

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:36 pm

I agree this is "gimicky" and I would not play a racing game without a wheel (or controller).
I also thought I read natal works with all Xbox consoles, so I wouldn't buy the new one just because. Natal might be good for kids and family games, but not racing for sure.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
DK Rahne
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Fri Jun 18, 2010 9:29 pm

Natal is compatible with all 360 consoles (providing you have the required memory space to run it), the misconception that it only works with the new console is false.

To completely clear up the false hood that every 360 isn't Kinect ready, here is the following..

Kinect brings games and entertainment to life in extraordinary new ways – no controller required. Easy to use and instantly fun, Kinect (formerly known as “Project Natal”) gets everyone off the couch. Want to join a friend in the fun? Simply jump in. And the best part is Kinect works with every Xbox 360®️

--Kinect and supported games coming November 2010. Xbox 360 Kinect Sensor requires 175MB of memory.

The reason they state that the new 360 is Kinect ready, is because of what the new 360 package itself offers. (250GB HDD). Quite simply every 360 with more than 175MB of memory will be able to run Kinect, this includes the following HDD, memory cards and an external USB storage device.

As said above the system itself is gimicky, and not without its issue's even at this late stage.

That being said, I would imagine that Microsoft will eliminate the most pressing issue's before release. Whilst it's not for me I can see it's appeal for some.

DK

Metal Kaz 3

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:37 am

Ok, honestly when I FIRST heard about Project Natal last year, I got really psyched up for it. I remember the two main things on the trailer for it that caught my eye, were:
1.) A kid playing a skateboarding game scanned his own skateboard and it showed up on the screen as a usuable board to ride on some skateboarding game.
This got me really going because I LOVE customization and micromanagement in a game, which this could open A LOT of possibilities!

And 2.) A scene where a kid walks into the room, is vocally acknowledged by the game as being present, then proceeds to duck under the opponent facing towards him on the screen and follows up with a roundhouse kick sending the guy flying.
Now as much as I enjoy fighting titles such as Soulcalibur, UFC, and the occasional Fight Night... one concern came to mind: If you take a hit on the game, you're not going to actually lean, wobble, step back, or fall down from a hit. Which any good fighting game, you can either chain combos or continue a rampage to a downed opponent.

Sorry if I'm getting a little off course here. But I noticed nothing similar to the above mentioned was shown this year at E3.

Now as for incorporating the technology into Forza... Firstly, I don't want an imaginary steering wheel. I like the vibrating of hitting a rumble strip or a collision, I like the tug of resistance when going into a turn. I don't wanna feel like I'm playing Mario Kart with Turn 10 graphics! Secondly, the demonstration shown for Forza did NOT impress me much. All I gathered was, okay, so I can look at the car more detailed... VERY NICE! I can get statistics and information on what looked to be a very limited preset amount of areas on the car.
Lastly... If your in the cockpit, and you turn your head in real life, you turn your head in game to examine the interior or the car, correct? Well if I'm busy looking off to my right, how can I see the image on the screen centered in FRONT of me...?

Idk, at this point in time I'm gonna wait it out for a price drop unless I Red Ring. Because at this point in time I feel like I'm being pitched a modified Wii. And a lot of the commands seem to be kind of like preset waggle commands.

I DO however think this technology would be AMAZING for expansive sandbox type RPG's such as Fallout, or Oblivion. Maybe even Grand Theft Auto or Red Dead Redemption...

Sorry for such a long post, but I've kind of wanted to discuss this with someone, but noone I really talk to much has been keeping an eye on this... Smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile
DK Rahne
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Sun Jun 20, 2010 7:32 am

Firstly, hiya Kaz long time no see, it's good to see you back. Smile

Secondly, very good points in the above post.

I had honestly forgotten how much Natal had impressed me last year when Microsoft showed the proposed technology.
Natal in it's current form is a far cry from what was shown over a year ago. That aside it was heavily speculated that Milo was to feature at E3 this year (seeing that Milo was one of the very first Natal demo's of any substance shown).
If i remember correctly in the Milo preview last year didn't they scan in a piece of paper, thus rendering it ingame? Seeing as this tech, now seems absent from Natal, what does this mean for Lionheads premier project Milo? (which is exactly what they touted it as last year)

Lionhead have recently stated that Fable 3 will have some Natal integration, but to what extent remains a mystery at the moment.
That being said, Milo was actually at E3 but the press were not allowed to view it.

So far concerning Natal, all we have seen is basic integration, nothing more. The only thing that seems to have been showcased for Natal is what many would consider as shovelware. Nothing has been shown yet to grab the attention of the hardcore gamer.

The problem with something like Natal is that it will only be successful if the adoption rate is high. Failing that I can't see many 3rd party developers plowing money into something that isn't a commercial success. (other than the obvious shovelware that will inevitably released)

Either way Microsoft will make money off of Natal, they are obviously first and foremost targeting the Wii crowd that want something a little different. The real test for Natal will come when we see how it's integrated into what many consider hardcore gaming titles and exactly how much it's actually used in those titles by gamers.

DK

mr harms

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:38 am

does anyone know if they finally fixed the heatsink issue in the new console? or did they just make bigger vents and fans? thats basically the only reason that the old systems ever got the red ring. heat sink was too small for the gpu
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Metzkill1

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:46 pm

Supposedly fixed with consoles manufactured after about November 2009. I bought my Elite and made sure it was manufactured in December or later and so far so good, but it hasn't bee long and I don't play a lot. We'll see.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mr harms

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:59 am

its not fixed...they just dropped the power supply down so it doesnt happen as often.....the small heat sink is still the same one.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Kinect (Natal) Issue's   

Back to top Go down

Kinect (Natal) Issue's
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Racing Forum :: Games Room :: Game News and Help-
Jump to: